Ahead of the public hearing presenting the county’s proposed FY2020 budget, Thursday night, the county presented highlights and a breakdown of the budget.
Historically, the Board of Supervisors has given 70 percent of the county’s overall budget to the funding for operations and capital of schools. The announcement clarified that the Board of Supervisors does not manage the school’s funding.
While 70 percent of the county’s budget goes directly to the MCPS operations and school debt service, the other 30 percent is used to support public safety and social welfare throughout the county including twelve county departments, five Constitutional Offices: the Sheriff’s office; Clerk of Court; Commonwealth’s Attorney; Commissioner of Revenue; and Treasurer’s Office; rescue squads, fire departments, courts and other agencies.
“The day to day administration of any funding provided to Montgomery County Public Schools by the Montgomery County Board of Supervisors is managed entirely by the Montgomery County Public School Administration and School Board,” the announcement said. “The operations of Montgomery County Public School facilities are managed by the Montgomery County Public School Administration and School Board.” The link to the proposed FY2020 budget is here: https://issuu.com/montgomeryva/docs/proposed-budget-digital-fy20