Historic Montgomery

Ingles Bridge over the New River as sketched by Lewis Miller in 1859. The bridge, constructed in 1841, was burned by Confederate troops in May 1864. The stone abutment remains today, near Ingles Tavern. This view shows Ingles Tavern and other related buildings on the Pulaski side of the river. The image is from a set of negatives made of the original Miller sketchbook in the mid-twentieth century.  (This image and many more are available from the Montgomery Museum of Art & History.)

more recommended stories