RHS Foundation boosts Emergency Assistance Program Food Bank

1
Pictured from left to right: Nikki Cumberland, RHS Foundation; Jonathan Penn, Community Services Programs Director for New River Community Action; Harrison Williams, RHS Foundation.

RADFORD – The Radford High School Foundation supports the city schools in many ways, including helping with food insecurity.

The Foundation recently delivered a check to provide much needed funds for the New River Community Action’s Radford/Fairlawn Emergency Assistance Program Food Bank (RC/FEAP).  The $450 donation was made possible through the Radford High School Foundation’s Morris and Helen Lepchitz Memorial endowment.

Jonathan Penn, Community Services Programs Director for New River Community Action accepted the contribution. Penn explained the RC/FEAP provides temporary financial and food assistance for residents and transients within the Radford City/Fairlawn area with incomes of 200 percent of the federal poverty guidelines or below who are experiencing financial crises. RC/FEAP provides non-financial food assistance and used clothing vouchers, among other services to clients in need, including temporary assistance with rent, mortgage, and heating fuel.

Radford High School Foundation, Inc. is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization formed in 1986 for the purpose of supporting and enhancing Radford’s already successful school system.  The Morris and Helen Lepchitz Memorial endowment

was established in November 1995 by the Radford Host Lion’s Club as a memorial to Morris Lepchitz and in appreciation of his years of dedicated service to the Radford community, and to the Radford Host Lion’s Club. This fund has been primarily funded by the Radford Host Lion’s Club and members of the Lepchitz family. During his career as a businessman and civil servant, Morris was always concerned about the citizens of Radford, and had a special love for the children of Radford when they came to him in need.  Mr. Lepchitz had a missionary zeal to help his fellow man through the Lion’s Club and, if necessary, through his personal and business resources.  The Morris Lepchitz Memorial Fund was established as a perpetual reminder of his goodness.  In 2003, the fund name was changed to include reference to Helen Lepchitz, Mr. Lepchitz’s long time spouse and helpmate, who died in 2003.  The principal amount is endowed and 90% of the income earnings are made available to charitable organizations in the City of Radford whose programs benefit children in the City School System through humanitarian aid.  The remaining 10 percent income earnings remain in the fund as endowed principal.

Representing the Radford High School Foundation, Inc. are Nikki Sydnor Cumberland, Board of Directors and Harrison Williams, Advisory Board Member. Nikki practices law locally at Davis, Davis & Davis Attorneys. Nikki was appointed to the Board of Directors in 2018.  Harrison Williams is a financial advisor in the Radford branch of Stifel Nicolaus & Company, Inc. Harrison was appointed as an Advisory Board member in 2018.

Please contact Mandy Martin, Foundation Treasurer, should you have any questions at (540) 639-0963.  The website is radfordhighfoundation.org.