Historic Montgomery County

15

This building was built as a Ford dealership building at the corner of West Main and Hickok streets in Christiansburg about 1909. In 1935, Morris C. Miller and the Wythe Building Corporation remodeled the building into the Palace Theater, which had 600 “Floating Comfort” seats on the main level and in the two-tiered balcony. This 1969 photograph shows the theater play Change of Habit, which starred Elvis Presley and Mary Tyler Moore. It was Presley’s final film role. (This photo, from the D. D. Lester Collection, and many more are available from the Montgomery Museum of Art and History.)